Hello, an old capcom fan here.
Here are my own experience over the past few 'recent' CapCom games on PC :
Devil May Cry 3 SE
* Had a lot of pad problem because of badly designed port
* Had to wait a patch for directinput configuration
* Had to buy a new pad because the weeks-later released patch to configure directinput pads was refusing mine...
Resident Evil 4
*Preordered long before the release
* Waited a few moonth later because it has been delayed
* Waited because it has been delivered unfinished (roughly no shaders!)
* DRM inclusion (yay securom) : my game wasn't launching 2 times out of 3 with a securom window in spanish (OS in french, I'd prefer french or english dammit)...
* I was active in the big complaint thread about the game, when finally Capcom promised to internally do the game ports.
Devil May Cry 4
* Impossible to launch because DRM (yay again securom) was telling me that it can't find the disc (in english this time...)
* After one week of search and an unreplied support ticket with the bottom of my thoughts to CapCom I finally discovered that placing the disc into my burner instead of my reader (which had better reading speed and latency) was sufficient to launch the game; ence proving yet again Securom failing to be reliable.
Funny fact, at this time I was also working in implementing securom in a large scale game...
Resident Evil 5
* Bad, performances, I mean really bad, on ATI hardware (4870 by the time); my PC at work (8800GTX) was performing more than 2.5 times faster. By my own coder experience I suspect a bottlenecking works-with-Nvidia and leaving ATI to deliver a driver with a special fix for the game.
* Result : had to wait about 2 months AGAIN for the god-dammned fix.
Street Fighter 4
* Excellent port...
* ...except for the fact that Capcom didn't asked themself "how a custom device works?" and found ideal to restraint device mapping to "one device-one player"
* Had to search a week for an elegant solution to play the game with my HotRod (now a X-Arcade)
Lost Planet 2
* not preordered
* seems quite a good port...
* ...but then runs like **** at the time with my 5770 crossfire in DX11.
* seems like the game has quite many problems on SLI/Crossfire DX11 rigs.
* waiting for weeks for a godammned fix.
To sum-up :
had to wait 6 times for various reasons.
2 of them refused to launch thinking I was a mighty pirate.
Result : not preordering anymore; will wait some weeks or month BEFORE buying (until all problems solved).
CapCom reaction to PC gamers :
"There are some pirates that do not give us their money and hack the leaderboards.
Let's stop releasing our games to PC.
Let's also not releasing DLC for our games, like the ones for Resident Evil 5, but do not forget to still realease already on disk costume DLC.
Our marketing/shareholders guys prefer to be deprived of potential customers"
A dozen of months later : "after deep reflexion, let's release some games but shitty ones or one with a helluva lot of DRM."
My near-FUTURE experience with Capcom?
Super Street Fighter 4 : Arcade Edition
* not preordered
* full of DRM and restrictions? do still want but because DRM makes a good product a pile of **** full of frustrations, I'll not pay the full price.
* not buying until 20€ in retail-box or 15€ DLC upgrade from the previous opus like consoles will have.
Last edited by Shingo-Y; 28-05-11 at 11:41..