Toggle Video Player Check user age Check user age

COMMUNITY

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Go Back   Capcom Europe > Games > Dragon's Dogma

Old 25-04-12, 18:17   #1
AIIStarz AIIStarz is offline United Kingdom
Loyalty Level 1/12

• Hot topic
    (has created a thread with over 1,000 views)
  • All about me
    (has completed the user profile)

Default 4 player co-op.

Why is there no co-op? I mean, the game is crying out for it. Would it be too much to ask for an add-on that would allow drop-in, drop-out 4 player co-op with autosave and a difficulty spike so even the most battle-hardy veterans, who have already completed the game and possibly even achieved Level 200, have to keep their wits about them?

The tense, survival horror setting alone would bond even the most incompatible of players in objective and mindset. 'We need to get to this objective and complete it before nightfall.' 'I'll die if go on my own.' 'Come on guys, almost there!' 'Hey could you guys spare some change for me to get some armour I have been "eyeing"? That would be nice.'

It seems a lose, a huge lose at that, to the game's encompassing individual experience that players won't be able to share those experiences with other people when it's been proven to be such a huge aspect over the years, does it not?

I honestly reckon this game has the potential to be an instant classic of time with people if the option of sharing their experience's with 3 of your friends were made available.

Last edited by AIIStarz; 28-04-12 at 13:20..
Send a PM Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-12, 20:30   #2
codexx440 codexx440 is offline United States
Loyalty Level 1/12

• All about me

Default for the love of everything sacred

Plz listen to this thread if there ever a time to agree with the community its now. I don't think I've ever seen a more deserving game. It desperately needs some sort of co-op. Even if its as bad as fables jump in. Please make a DLC for an online addition. I have never made an online forum/community profile in my life but I did it to voice this an I cannot stress it enough. Please answer our call. Thank you
Sincerely dogma addicted fan.

P.s. you guys did an amazing job either way. Lol
Old 26-04-12, 10:50   #3
Claw Claw Bite Claw Claw Bite is offline United Kingdom
Loyalty Level 1/12

• All about me

Hey Guys...I started a thread yesterday regarding a brand new friendly petition that was started yesterday at change.org regarding possible future inclusion of 4 player co-op.

Heres the link to the petition:

http://www.change.org/petitions/capc...-dragons-dogma

For the people that would like to see this implemented as dlc for DD or as a feature of a potential sequel then please lend your support.

Take care
Old 30-04-12, 00:09   #4
Boethius Boethius is offline United Kingdom
Loyalty Level 1/12

• All about me

I think it will be a download package.
Old 01-05-12, 11:53   #5
onlyonet onlyonet is offline United Kingdom
Capcom Staff
Loyalty Level 2/12

• Hot topic
  • Top writer
    (has created a thread with over 50 replies)
  • Regular
    (has posted in more than 12 different months)
  • I have a buddy!
    (has added a friend)
  • Somebody likes me
    (has been added as a friend)
  • 1st person to view a new news item
  • Voter
    (has entered a poll)
  • 1st person to watch a new video
  • Read all live news items
  • Goodies!
    (has entered a competition)
  • All about me

The game was always made as a single player game. Adding co-op brings a few more technical problems so it isn't quite as easy as just adding it.

Old 28-05-12, 17:49   #6
El Burrito El Burrito is offline Afghanistan
Loyalty Level 1/12

• Hot topic
  • All about me

Holy **** my pawns never protect me, but I have so many friends that play this game and could quite easily protect me while I charge up super spells to decimate the field. Co-Op play would just be so good, pawns are okay but I really have no idea why Capcom decided against Co-Op with such brilliant combat mechanics.
Old 28-05-12, 18:53   #7
ZeliXVII ZeliXVII is offline United Kingdom
Advanced Member
Loyalty Level 2/12

• Hot topic
  • Top writer
    (has created a thread with over 50 replies)
  • Regular
  • I have a buddy!
    (has added a friend)
  • Somebody likes me
  • Voter
    (has entered a poll)
  • Navigate to the Forum from a game sheet
  • Navigate to a game sheet from a news item
  • Read all live news items
  • Goodies!
    (has entered a competition)
  • All about me

Current Mood:

I agree with you OP, I've been saying it myself for a while now as well. The problem is now the game is out I think there is no chance Capcom can tack on a co-op mode.

Maybe this is something Capcom should have a look at for Dragon's Dogma 2 if there is one.
Old 28-05-12, 20:39   #8
Adie_123 Adie_123 is offline United Kingdom
Loyalty Level 1/12

• All about me

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Burrito View Post
Holy **** my pawns never protect me, but I have so many friends that play this game and could quite easily protect me while I charge up super spells to decimate the field. Co-Op play would just be so good, pawns are okay but I really have no idea why Capcom decided against Co-Op with such brilliant combat mechanics.
You know, ive seen a few posts saying that the pawns dont protect or whatever, but has it ever occured to you to pick well made pawns?

I mean i spend ages looking at pawns to hire and this is because i see many that havnt got their armour enhanced or their skills/augments at least full. Also, what isnt shown in the data when assessing the pawns is the fact that your able to sit your pawns down and answer a few questions to set them up how you want them to act (AI setup). It seems also that theres unique questions in some places but not 100% sure on the latter. So if a pawn doesnt seem to work for you, find another that actually seems or does what you want/expect of it.

If people dont setup their pawns correctly and you hire them, then your team will suck. Doesnt matter if you think you have a balanced team cause of the classes u have in your team, it depends on if them pawns have been setup correctly. I bet 4 sorcerers (theoretically a bad setup) could do well if they have all been setup perfectly.

------

Anyways, to the point of the OP. It would be good for co-op, but if you think about it, when new single player games come out that have a large following and/or does well for the develpers. Then its most likely that a sequel will come at a later time that adds the functions that people are crying out for. It would be difficult for them to alter a designed for single player game to make it multiplayer, not impossible, but would be hell of a job to make it multiplayer. It would most likely be easier for them to start from scratch with the aim to make multiplayer than to alter the single player engine/game as it is.
Old 28-05-12, 22:00   #9
El Burrito El Burrito is offline Afghanistan
Loyalty Level 1/12

• Hot topic
  • All about me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adie_123 View Post
You know, ive seen a few posts saying that the pawns dont protect or whatever, but has it ever occured to you to pick well made pawns?
That's the thing, I'm fairly sure I have got well made pawns. The last pawn I hired had huge strength and much higher defences than I'd seen before.

My problem is that I don't understand the different ways of acting that the pawns have. A few things I can remember are Guardian, Challenger, Scatherer, Nexus and Pioneer.

I'm pretty sure there is more, but from what I can tell, Scatherer is a pawn that picks up loot more often than not. Nexus is a pawn that deals in making sure everyone else is okay, healing and buffing. Pioneer is someone who scouts ahead often. Guardian seems like it's supposed to be someone that stands nearer the Arisen and fights things that are close by, or things that are actually attacking the arisen. And Challenger is supposed to be a pawn that runs out and starts attacking archers and magicians.

So I figure, as a Sorcerer, I need a guardian to try and keep off foes that get too close, and a Challenger to take down archers and mages before they can interupt my spell cast.

But what seems to be happening instead, is that there is some kind of engagement range. I will try and ready a spell before going into engagement range, so that I can let it loose as soon as the enemies are in range, but the problem is some bandit rangers/striders seem to attack from much farther away, and none of the pawns do anything about. The challenger doesn't go over to take it out because it's an archer, and the guardian doesn't take it out even though it's attacking me.
Old 29-05-12, 10:00   #10
InfiniteStates InfiniteStates is offline United Kingdom
Advanced Member
Loyalty Level 2/12

• Regular
  • I have a buddy!
    (has added a friend)
  • Somebody likes me
  • Hot topic
  • All about me

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyonet View Post
The game was always made as a single player game. Adding co-op brings a few more technical problems so it isn't quite as easy as just adding it.
^ This. Adding multiplayer to anything explodes the complexity exponentially. Especially when there are so many AI to keep in sync. The Monster Hunter approach of just keeping the big enemy in sync may work, although I doubt it in terms of looking out for each other.

I would much rather that Capcom see the success of Dragon's Dogma and Demon's/Dark Souls as an indicator that the West is very much ready for a PS3/360 dedicated version of Monster Hunter. Especially as we're loving handheld and Wii versions.

It's about time MH got some next-gen love with proper online.

But this time Capcom, market it properly - don't just let it slip onto the bottom shelf of game store's unannounced, and rely on word-of-mouth marketing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Burrito View Post
...So I figure, as a Sorcerer, I need a guardian to try and keep off foes that get too close, and a Challenger to take down archers and mages before they can interupt my spell cast.

But what seems to be happening instead, is that there is some kind of engagement range. I will try and ready a spell before going into engagement range, so that I can let it loose as soon as the enemies are in range, but the problem is some bandit rangers/striders seem to attack from much farther away, and none of the pawns do anything about. The challenger doesn't go over to take it out because it's an archer, and the guardian doesn't take it out even though it's attacking me.
A guardian is too little too late. I think a guardian is what you want in a mage when you are tanking. You need pawns that will actively aggro the enemy, not sit back and attack things attacking you.
Check out Extreme Golf or Shepherd for the iPhone.
Or download the MH Tri Companion for iPhone.