Archive for April 13, 2012
Today’s Dragon’s Dogma developer blog is brought to us by Makoto Tanaka, game designer and all-around friendly man. Enjoy!
In Dragon’s Dogma, you will play in a world made up of people living their own lives and experiencing their own culture, with animals so close you can touch. That is where our conversation started. When talking amongst the RnD staff on this title, we didn’t want to simply create a world with realistic images, but we wanted to have things that occurred in the real world also occur here, to make it feel real.
Imagine for a moment that you have been thrown into the plains of Africa. There are various animals living there and beasts going in for the kill. Just then, a large creature–an elephant, perhaps–walks by. By swapping that out with something “fantasy”, you end up with something truly compelling! A goblin hiding amongst the shrubs or a cyclops walking across the field.
We tried to create an adventurous world where you wouldn’t know what to expect, with a bit of fantasy. It was from that that we wound up with the pure concept of this world–something that a child may well have dreamed up.
In order for us to bring the player deeper into the game, we had to come back around and think about what is considered “normal”.
- What happens when you are drenched in water? What happens when you touch fire?
- What happens to the mentality of the adventurer when it becomes dark at night?
- What kind of things can you do when you fight against a giant beast with wings, like a Griffin?
There was a lot of discussion regarding what we perceive to be the norm in our world and what could realistically happen in a fantasy world. And working from that, we were then able to use that world as the setting for a Capcom-like game and action. The final product is an open-world action game–Dragon’s Dogma.
By “action,” we do not simply mean it in the sense of an “action game,” but also in the sense that you are touching and interacting with the world.
So when you interact with things, people, and creatures in the game, they all react. You can also get caught up fighting big creatures as well. We are looking to bring an unprecedented level of high quality action and interactivity to an open world game.
Some more Resident Evil 6 insight from GameSpot with director Eiichiro Sasaki and executive producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi.
- Asura's Wrath Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 capcom Chun li Competition dead rising 2 Dead Rising 2: Off the Record devil may cry dmc Dragon's Dogma e3 Fight Club Frank West IGN kotaku marvel vs capcom 3 mega man MotoGP 10/11 Nintendo 3DS nintendo DS okamiden playstation 3 ps3 psn Resident evil Resident Evil 6 Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D resident evil revelations Ryu Sengoku BASARA Samurai Heroes Seth Killian Steel Battalion Heavy Armor street fighter Street Fighter III: Third Strike Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition street fighter iv street fighter x tekken Super Street Fighter IV Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition tgs Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 xbox xbox 360 Yoshinori Ono
- March 2013 (1)
- January 2013 (3)
- October 2012 (3)
- September 2012 (1)
- August 2012 (14)
- July 2012 (5)
- June 2012 (31)
- May 2012 (61)
- April 2012 (70)
- March 2012 (94)
- February 2012 (97)
- January 2012 (88)
- December 2011 (75)
- November 2011 (94)
- October 2011 (92)
- September 2011 (91)
- August 2011 (71)
- July 2011 (63)
- June 2011 (51)
- May 2011 (40)
- April 2011 (48)
- March 2011 (61)
- February 2011 (48)
- January 2011 (43)
- December 2010 (32)
- November 2010 (52)
- October 2010 (75)
- September 2010 (30)
- August 2010 (17)
- July 2010 (35)
- Win amazing Sengoku Basara goodies! (6,280)
- DEAD RISING 2 ZOMBREX EDITION COMES TO EUROPE (4,862)
- Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition out now! (4,605)
- Memories of the way we scare (4,506)
- *Special Offer* Sideshow Street Fighter Figures (4,478)
- Capcom UK Fight Clubs! (4,363)
- Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 new costumes (3,955)
- Resident Evil Revelations release date! (3,950)
- Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 release date and price! (3,777)
- Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition & PlayStation Move Clarification (3,668)